[Skip to Content]

How to renew

Members need to renew their benefits annually.

Virginia Medicaid is restarting renewals starting in March 2023. The state will begin reviewing members’ health coverage to make sure they still qualify, however, closures will not occur prior to April 30, 2023. 

  • Look out for official mail, email or texts to tell you what you need to do to renew your health coverage. 
  • Respond right away. You will need to share updated information for you and your family members to keep your health coverage. 
  • Not responding to requests for information may result in loss of health coverage. 
  • Keeping an eye out for communications from us is key to ensure you meet important deadlines! 

The state may be able to renew your coverage without asking you for anything. If so, you will get a letter in the mail letting you know your health care coverage will continue. If the state does not have all information to renew your benefits, you will get a form or a checklist in the mail to complete and return by a certain date. Please make sure we have your updated contact information so we can reach you.  

Members can complete their renewal form/checklist by taking these steps: 

  • Submit the completed form/documents online at commonhelp.virginia.gov using the case number and client ID on your form to associate your case to your account. 
  • Call Cover Virginia at 1-855-242-8282 (TTY: 1-888-221-1590) to submit your renewal information. Have the requested information gathered and ready to give over the phone. 
  • Mail the completed form/documents to the address listed on the form or checklist by the due date with the prepaid return envelope, or you can turn in the form/documents by fax or in person at your local Department of Social Services. 

If you return your form and all your information, the state will review your benefits. You will receive a letter letting you know the state’s decisions, as well as information if you think they made a mistake and how to prepare.  

If you DO NOT return your form or information on time or at all, then the state will close your case for “failure to renew.” You will not be referred to the Marketplace. However, you have three months after your case closes to turn in that information without needing to reapply. If you return your information and are eligible we will review your case back to when it closed. 

If you are no longer eligible for Medicaid, Medicare, or don’t have health benefits through your job, you can choose an individual and Family health plan through ACA Marketplace. For more information on Anthem Individual and Family plans go to https://www.anthem.com/staycovered.

If you have questions about this process, you have the right to receive this information or copies of your letters for free in your language, in large print, or in another way that is best for you by calling Cover Virginia at 1-855-242-8282 (TTY: 1-888-221-1590) or emailing them at covervirginia@dmas.virginia.gov

What can I do now?


Update your mailing address: If you moved this past year or have a new mailing address, please call Member Services at 1-800-901-0020 (TTY) to update your contact information. It is very important to update your information to stay informed about benefit information and documents like your renewal packet when it is time. 

Know your renewal date: If you are unsure of your renewal date you can call Member Services or visit the commonhelp website by logging in.

Where am I in the renewal process?


Download the Renewal Process Flow Chart to help guide you.

What if you lose your coverage?

You can still reapply for Medicaid. If you apply within 60 days of the date you lost coverage and you’re still eligible, you’ll return to the Anthem HealthKeepers Plus plan.

No longer qualify for Medicaid? Call us at 844-404-6846.  We can connect you to an individual plan that’s right for you.

Learn more about staying covered

Things to Remember

To complete your renewal, the Department of Social Services may ask for your: 

  • Full legal name, date of birth, Social Security number, and citizenship or immigration status for you and anyone in your household who is renewing. 
  • Most recent federal tax filing information (if available). 
  • Job and income information for members of your household for the month prior or the current month. Having recent pay stubs or W-2s to reference may be helpful. 
  • Information about other taxable income for members of your household. Other taxable income could be unemployment benefits, Social Security benefits, pensions, retirement income, rental income, and alimony.