Cardinal Care Medicaid – The Commonwealth of Virginia’s Medicaid program
No-cost health insurance for you and your family
We cover adults, families, and kids.Choose AnthemRenew
What You Get
You’ll get all your Medicaid benefits and home-and community-based services to fit your life. Plus, there are no copays, deductibles, or other charges for services that are part of your benefits other than patient pay set by the Department of Social Services (DSS), where applicable.
- More than 25,000 doctors, hospitals, and specialists to choose from near you
- Urgent and emergency care
- 24/7 NurseLine – talk to a nurse any time, day or night, and get answers to health questions by calling 1-800-901-0020 (TTY 711)
- Condition Care (CNDC) programs for asthma, diabetes, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), heart failure, coronary artery disease (CAD), major depressive disorder, bipolar disorder, substance abuse disorder, schizophrenia, hypertension, and HIV/AIDS
- Translation and interpretation services via phone and onsite for your medical appointments
- Rides to doctor appointments, the drugstore to get your prescriptions and grocery stores, and farmers markets — set up a ride by calling Access2Care at 1-877-892-3988 (TTY 711). For more information, visit our Schedule a Ride page
- No-cost prescription and over-the-counter drugs
- Dental services from DentaQuest
- Early intervention services — services like speech or occupational therapy designed to help a baby under the age of three who may not be learning or developing like other babies and toddlers. For more information, look in your member handbook.
- Mental Health Services — services like in-home care and substance use crisis intervention
- Doula services for pregnant women and new mothers to provide extra support during pregnancy, birth, and after delivery
Your benefits include a wide range of prescription and over-the-counter (OTC) medicines at no cost. We work with CarelonRx to provide these pharmacy benefits.
Visit the Pharmacy page to find a pharmacy near you and check if your medicine is covered.
Children and adults are covered for dental cleanings and preventive care, X-Rays and exams, fillings, and more.
To find a dentist or learn more, call DentaQuest at 1-888-912-3456.Find a dentist
For members 21 and older:
- One routine eye exam every 12 months
- Up to $150 for glasses or contacts yearly as an extra benefit for being an Anthem HealthKeepers Plus member
For members under 21:
- One routine eye exam every 24 months
- Glasses or contacts as medically necessary
- Glasses to replace those that are lost, broken, or stolen
To find providers and store locations, call Member Services at 1-800-901-0020 (TTY 711).
Healthy mind, healthy body
Being healthy is about more than just your body. Our benefits can help you with your emotional and mental health, too. These behavioral health and substance use treatment and recovery services are included in your plan:
- Outpatient mental health and addiction treatment services
- Intensive outpatient (IOP)
- Partial day treatment
- Opioid treatment
- Case management
- Residential treatment for pregnant and postpartum individuals
- Halfway house and group home treatment
- Residential treatment
- Residential detox
- Crisis stabilization
- Peer supports
- Free refurbished Chromebook laptop for high school seniors who earn a 3.5 GPA or higher
- Free rides to grocery stores, farmers markets, and food banks
- GED testing on us — up to four GED vouchers for members 17 and older
- $25 gift card for middle, high school, and college students with As and Bs
- Up to a $20 Walmart gift card for completing your health screener
- Smartphone with free minutes, data and texts
- Meals delivered to your home after a hospital stay (discharged from hospital after 48-hour stay), including new moms after delivery — two meals a day for seven days
- Boys & Girls Club memberships (where available)
- Free children’s books delivered to your home
- Baby Essentials catalog for new moms to choose up to two essential baby items, such as a car seat or highchair, for completing up to seven prenatal visits and a postpartum visit
- Sports physicals for kids ages 19 and under
- Coupon book with more than $1,000 in savings at local stores
- WW® vouchers — $120 for 13 weeks of meetings and 14 weeks of online tools
- Online fitness classes
- Select two asthma and allergy relief products from a catalog of options for members diagnosed with COPD and/or asthma
- Community Resource Link for local help finding food, housing, and other things you might need. Visit the website here and type in your ZIP code to search.
- LiveHealth Online — see a doctor 24/7 on your computer or mobile device. No appointments or long wait times.
- Anthem HealthKeepers Plus Community Resource Link to find jobs, food, housing, and more
- Your Care Plan to send messages to your care coordinator, track goals, and more
- Mobile app to find doctors or use your ID card on the go
Limitations and restrictions apply. Benefits may change.
You can redeem some benefits online through your secure account. View the extra benefits you're eligible for on the Benefit Reward Hub or call Member Services at the number on your member ID card.
You can also earn Healthy Rewards gift cards worth up to $50 for each health activity completed. Log in to the Benefit Reward Hub to redeem your Healthy Rewards. You can also call the Healthy Rewards Customer Service Line at 1-888-990-8681 (TTY 711), Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Eastern time.
Your care manager works with you, your support system, and your team of doctors to help you get benefits and services to fit your health needs. Turn to your care manager for help with:
- Questions about your care.
- Scheduling doctor visits and rides.
- Getting long-term services and supports to help you with daily activities.
What to Expect After You Sign Up
You’ll receive your new member packet soon after signing up with us. Your packet will include your welcome letter and quick start guide.
You’ll also receive your health assessment or health screener. Remember to complete it to make sure you get the benefits and services you need. If you have a care manager, they will get in touch with you soon to talk about next steps, answer your questions, and help you fill out your health screener.
To help you get started with using your benefits, visit our new member page. For more details about your plan, be sure to check out your member handbook.
I’m new to Cardinal Care
Open enrollment for those with Cardinal Care will happen on a regional basis across the state during the year.
Do more online with Your Care Plan
You have the tools and technologies in your hands to access care and services. Your Care Plan is an online tool to help you:
- Stay connected with your care coordinator.
- Find your care coordinator’s phone number and email address.
- Send secure messages about diagnoses, goals, medicines, services, and more.
- Stay up to date on your Care Plan.
- View your goals and objectives and check their status and due dates.
Switch to the Anthem HealthKeepers Plus planYou can change your Medicaid plan during open enrollment (OE)
With us, you are covered for all the Medicaid benefits you expect, like doctor visits, prescriptions, and 24/7 NurseLine at no cost. Plus, you get extra benefits like:
- Adult eye exams, $150 for lenses and frames or contacts per year
- Adult hearing exam, $1,000 for hearing aids, and 60 batteries per year*
- Books for Kids program, $35 Barnes and Noble gift card
- Boys & Girls Club membership in participating locations
- Coupon book worth up to $1,000+ in savings
- Moms can select two baby essential items, such as a highchair, portable crib, or car seat for completing at least seven prenatal exams and a postpartum exam
- Refurbished Chromebook for high school seniors with a 3.5 GPA or above
- Sports physicals for members 19 and under
- $25 gift card for good grades to middle, high school, and college students
- Up to four GED test vouchers
- ChooseHealthy program, offering online health classes and articles Smartphone with unlimited minutes and texts, 25 GB of data, and hotspot monthly
- 24/7 physician video visits
- Up to 12 rides a year per member to grocery stores, farmers’ markets, and local foodbanks
- 13 WW® meeting vouchers and 14-week e-voucher
- 14 prepared meals delivered after a hospital stay or nursing facility discharge
- $20 Walmart gift card to members who complete their annual Health Screener
- Select two items under the assistive devices and wheelchair accessories catalog.*
- Select two items from an asthma and COPD relief catalog. * Specific plan members are eligible
Switch to the Medicaid plan trusted by over 500,000 Virginians now. To learn more, visit chooseanthem.com/va.
To switch now, use any of these ways: Go to virginiamanagedcare.com or call the Managed Care Helpline at 800-643-2273.
HealthKeepers, Inc. is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association. Anthem is a registered trademark of Anthem Insurance Companies, Inc. Anthem HealthKeepers Plus, offered by HealthKeepers, Inc., is a health plan that contracts with the Virginia Department of Medical Assistance Services to provide Medicaid benefits to enrollees.