Choose Virginia's largest Medicaid health plan
Ready. Set. Renew.
It may be time to renew your health benefits. We are here to help. We created this short video to show you how. Keep in mind, if you don’t renew before the deadline, you may have a gap in health coverage. Take steps now to protect yourself and your family.
Be aware of scams and fraud during Medicaid renewals. There is no cost to complete a Medicaid renewal and if we reach out to you about renewing your coverage, we will never ask for money.
No longer qualify for Medicaid? We can connect you to a plan that’s right for you.
Cardinal Care Medicaid
- Low-income women who are pregnant and their children
- Uninsured adults and families who meet income guidelines
- Children in foster care or adoption assistance
- People who:
- Get long-term services and supports
- Live in a nursing facility
- Are aged, blind, or disabled
- Have been diagnosed with a developmental disability
- Also have Medicare
For children under age 19 with working parents who may not qualify for Medicaid
A Message from the Department of Medical Assistance Services (DMAS)
The pandemic-related flexibility that allows parents of children under age 18 and spouses to be reimbursed for providing personal care services will end on November 10, 2023. To ensure a smooth transition, Employers of Record should search for an alternate caregiver as soon as possible.
Your services facilitator should be able to assist in locating resources to find qualified attendants and steps in the hiring process. The Consumer Directed Services Employer of Record Manual provides helpful information on hiring attendants. The EOR manual can be found on the DMAS website at: https://dmas.virginia.gov/for-providers/long-term-care/waivers/.
DMAS is awaiting Federal approval to permanently allow parents of minors and spouses to be paid to provide personal care services when no one else is available. EORs will have to show their recent efforts to hire an attendant, and no one else is available. DMAS will provide training for families and providers once Federal approval is received.
COVID-19 Vaccine Information
We want to make sure that you have the information you need to answer your questions about the new COVID-19 vaccine. Here are some frequently asked questions:
- Will it work? There are four vaccines available now. They are highly effective at preventing serious illness and hospital admissions from COVID-19.
- How do I get a vaccine? Once you pre-register, you will receive updates when you are able to schedule an appointment to get a vaccine.
- What does it cost? There is no cost for anyone to receive a vaccine.
- What should I expect when I get a vaccine? Depending on the type of vaccine you get, you will need one or two doses to ensure you are protected from COVID-19. You do not need to bring a government-issued ID and cannot be turned away for not having ID. It is important to bring some form of ID, if possible, to make sure the right person receives the vaccine.
A free flu vaccine can help with your health
Flu season runs from October through May. You and your loved ones can stay protected by going for a flu vaccine. It is recommended for those ages 6 months and older by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Certain pharmacies offer flu vaccines by walk-in or appointment.
Support for caregivers
If you’re a caregiver of an Anthem HealthKeepers Plus plan member, you can access articles, books, and webinars on a variety of caregiving topics. You’ll also find tips on how to manage your role as a caregiver and take care of yourself.
Visit caregiving.com for these free resources.
We want to make sure you have the healthcare coverage you need. To help you stay enrolled, please keep these open enrollment dates in mind.
Note: All types of Medicaid now renew during the regional period
- Tidewater region: February 19 – April 30
- Central region: April 19 – June 30
- Northern Virginia region: June 19 – August 31
- Charlottesville and Western Halifax regions: August 19 – October 31
- Roanoke, Allegheny, and Southwest regions: December 19 – February 28
Find your region's open enrollment dates.
If you’re already our member, you don’t have to do anything to stay with us. If you want to switch to the Anthem HealthKeepers Plus plan, Learn more.
Our mission is to improve the lives of the people we serve.
Focused on health for over 25 years
We’re more than just a website and phone number. In Virginia, we:
- Work with over 25,000 doctors, hospitals, and specialists statewide.
- Are the largest Medicaid plan.
- Serve more than 750,000 Medicaid members.
*According to NCQA’s Medicaid Health Plan Accreditation Advertising and Marketing Guidelines 2020.