Anthem is a true partner to states: our on-the-ground teams work with state agencies, providers and the community to develop innovative programs and services. We offer practical solutions for state-sponsored health care programs that help states achieve their goals for improved member health outcomes, administrative efficiencies and cost savings.
Across every state served, we generate substantial positive results and savings by:
- Focusing on providing members high quality care in the right setting and at the right time
- Reducing unnecessary emergency room visits or hospitalizations
- Eliminating duplication or gaps in care
- Focusing on program integrity, transparency and quality
Our work begins in the community. Across every state we serve and all of our programs, we partner with local community organizations to help members make healthy decisions and connect them to the resources they need.
Awards and Recognitions
Anthem’s best-in-class programs and service delivery model continue to earn recognition.
NCQA includes two Anthem health plans in its list of the Top 100 Medicaid health plans in the country.
According to the 2015-2016 NCQA Medicaid Health Plan Rankings, Anthem plans operating state-sponsored programs are the #1 or #2 ranked plans in Indiana and Virginia, and #3 in Wisconsin.
Achieving Positive Health Outcomes
Anthem has a strong track record of improving members’ lives and meeting health goals. We deliver superior performance and improved health outcomes for measures that are of critical importance. Across every state we serve, our commitment to member care is demonstrated in the positive outcomes our programs have achieved. A few examples include:
- In 2014, 19 of our affiliate plans produced approximately $91 million in aggregate utilization reduction while supporting members in their preferred environments and communities.
- Five of our affiliate plans offer Anthem’s Healthy Families Program, which Medicaid Health Plans of America Diabetes Care highlighted as a best practice. This program has helped 57% of members increase their fruit/vegetable intake, 58% increase their water consumption, 42% increase their level of activity, and 30% decrease their screen time.
- Our emergency room prevention programs are tailored by state, but share strong results. In Georgia, our affiliate achieved an 11.5% decrease in outpatient emergency room visits, a 3.8% increase in primary care provider visits, and an 800% increase in urgent care center visits. A similar program through our Louisiana affiliate decreased emergency room utilization by 11%.
With almost two decades of experience serving our nation’s citizens facing economic and health care disparities, including those with specialized needs, Anthem has earned its reputation as a thought leader. Our subject matter experts focus their knowledge on improving services, addressing the changing needs of our membership and providing solutions for the most pressing health care issues today. For example, through our support of the National Advisory Board (NAB), we work to improve health care and support services for millions of seniors and people with disabilities across the nation.